NAIFA is proud to announce that it has renewed its participation as a member of the Industry Education Council (IEC), the educational partner of the National Council of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL). The IEC provides effective communication with state legislators, and vital support for NCOIL’s educational programs.
Among the issues NAIFA will work with the IEC to address are:
- The implications of COVID-19 for all lines of insurance
- The shifting landscape of health insurance and healthcare cost drivers both in health and workers compensation insurance
- Cybersecurity and accountability in the wake of a data breach
- Innovation in insurance–in the sharing economy and elsewhere in the marketplace
- The preservation of the states’ primary role in regulating insurance
“NAIFA has a long history of working with legislators in every state and providing expertise and education on insurance industry issues important to Main Street USA families and businesses,” said NAIFA Director of State Government Relations Julie Harrison. “We believe that 2021 will present unprecedented opportunities for collaboration and cooperation, and we look forward to our continued work with the IEC in this important effort.”
Harrison manages the government relations efforts of NAIFA’s 50 state chapters, allowing the association to coordinate responses in various state capitals to legislative and regulatory issues impacting insurance and financial professionals and their clients. Centralization and coordination of state advocacy efforts ensures that NAIFA can quickly mobilize and leverage knowledge and experience across chapters to strengthen NAIFA state advocacy and increase its influence. Harrison joined the NAIFA government relations team in November of 2019, and NAIFA Senior Vice President for Government Relations Diane Boyle selected her to represent NAIFA at NCOIL.