NAIFA’s federal advocacy wins get a lot of the headlines: successfully promoting passage of the SECURE Act and Senior Safe Act, working for the permanent repeal of the Cadillac tax, and participating in the lawsuit that overturned the Department of Labor’s fiduciary rule, to name just a few.
But state-level advocacy is just as crucial to NAIFA members, industry colleagues, and consumers. Proposed state laws and regulations that would create a mishmash of standards of care for agents and advisors, use government resources to fund state-run retirement plans, and create new taxes or increase existing ones on our industry, are just a few of the measures that could have profound impacts on financial professionals and their clients.
NAIFA is the only association for agents and advisors with a track record of successful advocacy in every state capital. A look at recent events spotlights NAIFA’s grassroots army in action at the state level:
- The last week of January: NAIFA-New York State had a western legislative breakfast tour for members and lawmakers with stops in Rochester and Buffalo.
- January 28: NAIFA-Florida held its Day on the Hill in Tallahassee, featuring an orientation breakfast, meetings with legislators, and recognition during a state Senate Banking and Insurance Committee hearing.
- January 29: NAIFA-New Mexico held its Day at the Roundhouse in Albuquerque, featuring recognition on the House floor and meetings with individual legislators.
- January 30: NAIFA-Idaho held its Day on the Hill in Boise, featuring meetings with state legislators.
- February 4: NAIFA-Maine held a Legislative Breakfast in Augusta, featuring a presentation and Q&A session with Maine Insurance Superintendent Eric A. Cioppa.
- February 4: NAIFA South Dakota held its Legislative Day in Pierre.
- February 5: NAIFA-Wisconsin held its Day on the Hill event in Madison, featuring advocacy educational programming and appointments with legislators.
- February 5: A group of NAIFA-Minnesota members met with state Senator Gary Dahms to discuss legislative issues. The group also recently met with Governor Tim Walz.
- February 6: NAIFA-Virginia held its Day on the Hill in Richmond, featuring a briefing breakfast and appointments with legislators.
- February 6: NAIFA Georgia held its Legislative Day on the Hill in Atlanta.
Thanks to all of these NAIFA members and their colleagues who recognize the importance of state advocacy. They give their time and talents to serve their industry and their clients as well as the legislators and regulators who benefit from their expertise on complex insurance and financial issues.
NAIFA-Idaho's Day on the Hill
NAIFA-New Mexico's Day at the Roundhouse
NAIFA-Florida's Day on the Hill
NAIFA Virginia's Day on the Hill
NAIFA-Maine's Legislative Breakfast
NAIFA-New York's Western State Legislative Breakfast Tour