NAIFA recognizes Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina on the announcement of his campaign to run for President of the United States. Scott is a former NAIFA member and prior to serving in Congress was an insurance and financial services professional who built one of the most successful Allstate agencies in South Carolina.
In a message to NAIFA’s 2021 Congressional Conference attendees, Senator Scott said, “I’ve been in your shoes and I know what you need to succeed. The work you do as life insurance and financial advisors has a specific and direct impact on the economic well-being and financial security of the people in your communities. I am so thankful that you are willing to do it.”
Scott was first elected to the Charleston County Council in 1995 when he was a practicing financial professional and NAIFA member. He served on the Council until 2009, when he was elected to the South Carolina General Assembly. In 2010, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives for South Carolina’s 1st Congressional District.
Scott now serves as the Ranking Member on the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs and also serves on the Senate Committee on Finance, Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Committee on Foreign Relations, and Special Committee on Aging. As an influential voice within these committees, he has helped to shape policies and legislation important to NAIFA members and their clients.
“Senator Scott, as a former NAIFA member, financial professional, and small business owner, understands and appreciates our industry,” said NAIFA President Bryon Holz, CLU, ChFC, LUTCF, CASL, LACP. “He is living proof that political involvement by agents and advisors can have a meaningful impact. NAIFA urges members to be actively engaged in politics, up to and including running for elected office. Senator Scott is a shining example of how politically involved financial professionals can make a real difference on behalf of their clients, communities, and country.”
Political involvement has long been a hallmark of good NAIFA citizenship. As a nonpartisan association, NAIFA strongly encourages members to engage politically to promote policy outcomes that benefit their colleagues, clients, and communities. In many cases, this has resulted in NAIFA members running for local, state, and national political office. In addition to Senator Scott, former NAIFA members in Congressional elected offices include:
- Senator Mike Rounds (R-SD)
- Representative Monica de la Cruz (R-TX)
- Representative Brad Schneider (D-IL)
- Representative Austin Scott (R-GA)
NAIFA is the leading grassroots advocacy association of insurance and financial advisors in the United States with influence in Washington, D.C., and every state capital. Advocacy programs NAIFA provides include:
- The Financial Security Advocate Academy, a grassroots training course for NAIFA members that teaches the basics of advocacy through advanced concepts such as running for elected office.
- The NAIFA Congressional Conference, an annual advocacy training and policy fly-in that includes the most influential day on Capitol Hill in the insurance and financial services industry.
- IFAPAC, one of the largest political action committees in the insurance industry.
- State Legislative Days that facilitate grassroots meetings between NAIFA members and their state-level elected and appointed officials.
- Coordinated In-District meetings with members of Congress during the summer congressional recess.